How To Jump Start a Car
If your vehicle won’t start, it’s most likely because of your battery. Try a jump start to get back onto the road. Not sure how? We at Jaguar Chandler can help you learn the proper way to jump start your vehicle. Is the battery old? Have it checked at our service center as it might need to be replaced. Until then, contact us at Jaguar Chandler to learn more about our service center, parts, and car care tips.
The Proper Way to Jump Start a Car
If you have a friend nearby and a set of jumper cables, you won’t need to call a jump start car service like AAA. So once you have the other vehicle and the cables, follow these steps to get your vehicle up and running again.
- Have the vehicle with the good battery face the other and make sure both are parked and turned off.
- Open the hoods and find the batteries. Sometimes there’s a plastic hood that needs to be removed to expose the battery.
- Find the positive and negative terminals of each battery and make sure they’re clear of any corrosion.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Hook the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the good battery.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the good battery.
- Connect the final black clamp to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Once hooked correctly, start the engine of the vehicle with the good battery.
- Then attempt to start the vehicle with the dead battery.
It Didn’t Work: Battery Tips
If you can’t jump start the vehicle, the battery may need to be replaced or it’s a sign of a more serious problem. Other issues to consider include:
- The Starter: If your vehicle is making a clicking sound, bring your model into our service center. The starter might not be functioning and will need repair.
- If the electrical systems turn on, but the engine won’t turn over, the problem could be one of many things including the ignition switch, battery, starter, or a fuse. You’ll want to have your vehicle checked to find the real issue.
After the jump, if it works, you’ll want to keep the vehicle running for a bit to allow the battery to fully recharge before you drive off or even turn the vehicle off again.
Have Your Vehicle Serviced at Jaguar Chandler
No matter whether it’s a faulty spark plug or you need the oil changed, we at Jaguar Chandler can help with our quality parts and service. Bring your vehicle into our service center today to keep your model running right, and rely on us for affordable auto parts. Also find out about the recommended service schedule for your model such as the Jaguar F-PACE or learn how to refinance a car loan.