What Used Car Research Should You Do Before You Buy?
Shopping for a used car can be overwhelming. With so many options to choose from, it’s difficult to know what to look for or how to find a vehicle that fits both your budget and needs. It’s important to do the right used car research to make the process easier, and Jaguar Chandler is here to help. From calculating your budget to making your final decision, we have you covered! Learn the steps of buying used before visiting us in Chandler, AZ and taking advantage our our Penske Pre-Owned Promise.
Used Car Buying Tips
- 1. Calculate how much money you are able to spend and whether you will be paying with cash or taking out a car loan. If you are taking out a loan, it is smart to plan to put approximately 10% down and create a plan to pay off the car in the shortest time possible to avoid growing interest payments. Remember to include additional expenses, like GAP insurance, in your calculations.
- 2. Find a car within your budget that also fulfills your driving needs. You can start by making a list of features that are critical to you. Examples of these features may include safety features, fuel economy, or comfortable seating for long rides on the Tempe roads. You can find great tools for this research online to help you find cars in the San Tan and Gilbert area with the features you are looking for.
- 3. After finding a car that meets your criteria, look up the price on a pricing guide such as Kelley Blue Book. You can use the pricing guide to estimate the market value of the car and model you are looking at. This way, you know whether or not the deal you are being offered is a fair price.
Before you take the next steps, learn a little bit about guaranteed car financing or find out how to buy a car the right way.
What To Look For In A Used Car
Once you think you’ve found the right car, there are certain things you should look/watch out for before you make your final decision:
- A Good Vehicle History Report: Carfax or AutoCheck can send you an intensive report of the car’s history. From the history report, you can see if the car has been in a serious accident, the number of owners the car has had, an accurate report of the car’s mileage, and other information that will tell you if the car is good to buy. Certified Pre-Owned vehicles are a good option when looking for a reliable used car with a good history report because they have already been inspected and certified by a manufacturer or authority.
- Rust: Watch out for rust on a potential purchase. Rust is almost irreversible and extremely expensive to repair. Be sure to look thoroughly — rust can hide underneath the car where it is difficult to see.
- Unsettling sounds or movements: Take the car on a test drive. If the engine is making strange noises, the break pedal quivers, or the car doesn’t drive straight when you remove your hands from the wheel, it is possible that the car has not been well maintained and is probably not worth the purchase.
View Our Extensive Used Inventory at Jaguar Chandler!
Experience the variety of used car options, each of which are packed with the Pre-Owned Promise. Value your trade before visiting our dealership, and let us help you get back on the road and on to your next Chandler adventure. Be sure to contact us with any questions! Even if you’re looking for a new vehicle, we can find a Jaguar price point that works for you.